UEFA Champions League Final: When is it, who’s favorite and how to watch

On Saturday, May 28, Liverpool will face Real Madrid in the 2022 Champions League final.

Months of hard work, determination and improbable outcomes will end in one match – winner takes it all.

After Liverpool’s comeback against Villarreal and Real Madrid’s stunning comeback against Manchester City, we can only hope that the final will have the same levels of drama as the semi-finals.

the athlete It has everything you need to know ahead of a blockbuster game later this month.


What is the date of the Champions League final?

This year’s Champions League final takes place on Saturday 28 May.

Kicks off at 8 PM GMT / 3 PM EST / 12 PM PT.

Where will it happen and why was it moved?

The final was originally scheduled to take place at the Allianz Arena, Bayern Munich.

After the COVID-19 pandemic, the 2020 and 2021 finals were moved to Portugal, and the final hosts were pushed back a year.

As a result, this year’s final was scheduled to take place at the original host of the 2021 final, Gazprom Arena in Zenit Saint Petersburg, with At the Allianz Arena to host the fantastic event in 2023.

But after the Russian invasion of Ukraine, UEFA decided in February to go to the final again – this time at the Stade de France in Paris.

The 80,000-seat stadium hosted the Champions League final in 2000 and 2006, as well as the finals of Euro 2016 and the 1998 World Cup.


The Stade de France will host this year’s Champions League final (Image: TF-Images/Getty Images)

Who will show the game on TV?

In the UK, BT Sport will broadcast the match. In previous years, BT made the Champions League final (and the European League) free to watch on YouTube, but that has yet to be announced.

In the US, CBS Sports and Paramount+ will show the game.

If you are unable to watch the match, the athlete It will have live coverage on the website and app.

How do tickets work?

For this year’s final, 20,000 seats at the Stade de France will be allocated to fans of both Liverpool and Real Madrid, with applicants able to purchase two tickets.

The cost of a ticket ranges from €70 (£59) to €690 (£580), which the clubs distribute as they see fit.

For more information on how tickets for the Champions League final work, check out our walkthrough.

How much does it cost for fans to get there?

Liverpool supporters hope to travel to Paris to watch their team play in the Champions League final against Real Madrid face huge sums to get there, as direct flights between northern England and Paris have exceeded £600.

Train connections between London and Paris have largely run out, while flights to the French capital from Madrid are also very expensive.

There are only two viable flights from Liverpool John Lennon Airport to Paris, and this may not be suitable for fans participating in matches. For example, an easyJet flight departing John Lennon Airport on Friday morning cost £382.99 at the time of writing.

There is also a flight on Saturday, which costs £372.99, but this flight lands at Charles de Gaulle Airport at 2.05pm, leaving little time for fans to head to the match.

Liverpool fans who want to leave England on Friday for a night in Paris before the game will have to pay for the privilege – a seat on a 7.25pm ​​easyJet flight costs £605.99, with flights the next morning just under £500.

AirFrance is also operating on Saturday mornings, costing more than £600.

How did Liverpool get here?

Winning all six group matches made Liverpool the favorite to win the Champions League title.

They were then paired with Inter Milan in the round of 16, where a 2-0 win over San Siro in the first leg saw them qualify despite their 1-0 defeat at Anfield – the only game Jurgen Klopp’s side have lost in this season’s competition. .

Liverpool then disintegrated Benfica 3-1 in Lisbon in the first leg of the quarter-final, which was followed by a 3-3 draw, making it look more annoying than it actually was due to two late goals from the Portuguese side.

Villarreal’s Unai Emery was waiting for Liverpool in the semi-finals, a tie that seemed to be held after an impressive 2-0 home win in the first leg. Two goals in the first half scored by Villarreal in the second leg brought Liverpool to life, who secured his place in the final with three goals after the end of the first half.

How did Real Madrid get here?

Real Madrid’s journey into the Champions League at the Santiago Bernabeu began in an embarrassing fashion, losing 2-1 at home to Moldovan champions FC Sherif in their second group game, a result that stunned the tournament.

However, this seemed to push Ancelotti’s side to advance, winning all of their remaining group matches to finish top of Group D – only then being tied with PSG in their heavyweight match in the round of 16.

Real Madrid lost the first leg in Paris 1-0 and then conceded before the end of the first half in the second leg at the Bernabeu. Just as they looked deteriorated, a superb second-half hat-trick from captain Karim Benzema secured a place in the quarter-finals.

There, they met with Chelsea, who defeated them in the semi-finals of the competition last season. Real Madrid seemed to have defeated those demons, after winning 3-1 in the first leg in West London.

Ancelotti’s side were stunned at the Bernabeu, with Chelsea leading 3-0 with 15 minutes left. Madrid then turned the confrontation on its head, with a shot from Rodrygo sent the match into extra time and Benzema scored the winning goal shortly after the start of the second half.

This set up the semi-final match against Manchester City – a tie that will be remembered as one of the Champions League classics for the drama that ensued on the legs.

City won 4-3 at the Etihad Stadium and then led 1-0 late in the second leg, but Rodrygo’s two late goals tied the tie 5-5 on aggregate. Once again, Benzema was the champion of Real Madrid, scoring a penalty in overtime.

What is the history between the two teams?

This isn’t fun, to say the least.

These two teams met in the 2018 Champions League final, a match that saw Liverpool’s talisman Mohamed Salah taken off injured in the first half after a challenge from Real Madrid captain Sergio Ramos.

Liverpool were not happy with the strength of this challenge, losing the match 3-1.

They then faced each other in last season’s quarter-finals, with Real Madrid winning the first leg 3-1 at home, followed by a goalless draw at Anfield.

After Liverpool beat Villarreal but before Real Madrid beat City, Salah was asked who he would prefer to face in the final.

His response was “Yes, I want to play for Real Madrid”.

What’s the first team news – who’s out?

Divock Origi is absent, while influential midfielder Thiago is questionable after suffering an Achilles tendon injury. You can read more on this topic here.

Joe Gomez and Fabinho are set to return to training this week, while Mohamed Salah and Virgil van Dijk continue to return to full fitness.

Meanwhile, Real Madrid put Eden Hazard on the treatment table. The Belgian has been out of action since March due to a leg injury.

Gareth Bale has also missed matches in recent weeks with a back problem.

Who is the favourite?

Given Liverpool’s wealth of talent and Real Madrid’s never-say-good attitude, this is a near-impossible match to predict.

The good people at FiveThirtyEight have tried to do just that, and they are supporting Liverpool to win their seventh Champions League title.

Fivethirtyeight gives Liverpool a 66 per cent chance of winning, while Madrid scores 34 per cent.

Where can I learn more about Liverpool?

Where can I learn more about Real Madrid?

(Top images: Getty Images)

.

Leave a Comment

%d bloggers like this: